Monday, October 12, 2009

Hollow to Whole

Can I be honest with you all? When I read the title of chapter two, "Flitting To and Fro", I didn't have a clue what flitting meant. I have honestly never heard that word. In case any of you want to stand with me in ignorance and admit it, I'll share its definition: to pass quickly or abruptly from one place or condition to another, to move in an erratic fluttering manner.

Becoming More Than A Good Bible Study Girl.

Lysa begins by sharing how she felt as though she couldn't quite land and figure out what she had to offer after she said yes to God. Oh, are we suppose to figure that out? I still haven't figured out what I have to offer. I said yes to God years ago and am just finally beginning to be where I should've been all those years ago. "Even though I knew in my head that only God could fill my soul, I still found myself wanting my husband and kids to do the job. It just seemed easier trying to get these things from those I could see and touch." Did Lysa just jump into my head and steal my thoughts?

"No person, possession, profession, or position ever fills the cup of a wounded, empty heart." If I might add, none of those fills any heart even a heart not enduring heartache or emptiness. Those things will never bring what our heart truly wants and needs. We ask those things to fill us up. We get that education. Still empty. We get that job. Still empty. We get that job. Empty. We get married. Empty. We have 2.5 children and a dog. Still empty. We get that house. Empty. We add the picket fence. Empty. Car. Pool. Boat. It's a never-ending pit. It's a bucket with a hole, never to be filled completely but always will a slow leak. God is the only One who can plug the hole and fill the bucket.

Then we play the torturous 'if only' game. If only I had this, that, or the other. Lysa shared an example of this and I'll shed my skin and share mine.

I could be really happy and fulfilled if only I had:
♥ a skinnier body ♥ a healed complexion ♥ a husband to return ♥ a more outgoing personality ♥ a higher confidence ♥ a sense of clear purpose ♥ an un-empty home ♥ a big ministry of speaking, teaching, writing

"Becoming more than a good Bible study girl means realizing that apart from a thriving relationship with God, even if you get everything on your list, there would still be a hollow gap in your soul."

Lysa suggest we replace our 'if only' statements "with something that draws your heart into God's truth." His Truth from scripture will never leave us empty.

Instead of "if only I had a clear purpose..."
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Instead of "if only I had a better physical image..."
So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him. Genesis 1:27

Instead of "if only I had a husband to return..."
All things are possible with God. Mark 10:27b
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5
And that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will. 2 Timothy 2:26

Instead of "if only I had a more outgoing personality and more confidence..."
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7
Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. 2 Corinthians 3:4-5

Instead of "if only I had an un-empty home..."
Jesus replied, 'If anyone loves Me, he will obey My teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make Our home with him.'

John 14:23 Instead of "if only I had a big ministry..."
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant. 2 Corinthians 3:6a
Write in a book all the words I have spoken to you. Jeremiah 30:2
I myself am convinced, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, complete in knowledge and competent to instruct one another. Romans 15:14

"When God's Word gets inside of us, it becomes the new way we process life. It rearranges our thoughts, our motives, our needs, and our desires." God fills every crack in our soul and makes us whole, filled, and complete. God fits our soul like a glove. He fully covers us with His love and truth.

"Living in the moment with God, defined by His truth, and with no unrealistic expectations for others or things to fill me up. Not reaching back for what was lost in my yesterdays. And not reaching for what I hope will be my tomorrow. But living fully with what is right in front of me. And truly seeing the gift of this moment."

Oh, Lysa, you got into my heart and head. I so need and want to do this.

No unrealistic expectations.
Not reaching back to yesterday.
Not reaching forward to tomorrow.
Living fully in front of me.
Seeing the gift of this moment.

Shall I say anymore? No, so see what others are saying at
Lelia's place.

Seeking to Fill My Hollow with Him,

© Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

12 comments:

Charlotte said...

What a great study you are doing! Thank you for sharing what you are learning, and being transparent.
Charlotte (a fellow learner)

Rebecca Evans said...

Such a wonderful post!! Thank you for sharing:) AMEN!

Christian fiction books said...

Amen to that! Thanks for sharing this great and very enlightening post.

Liz said...

A great book study, no doubt! I love the thoughts you share - they are absolutely the truth! God does have an answer to every "if only" we can come up with!

andi said...

Right on GIRL!!!!!

Pat said...

Hi my sister friend! I have missed visiting so much! You new blog looks is so beautiful. Truly my favorite blog visit! Good stuff coming form Lysa huh? I haven't done this yet but look forward to it!!
Blessings beautiful lady!!
pat

Runner Mom said...

This post was awesome, Paula! Thank you for sharing your heart with us! You are such a sweetie!

And...if you've ever watched "The Sound of Music"--there is a song that 2 of the sisters sing while the big fancy party is going on at the Vann Trapp home (I know this movie front and back!!) They sing a song that has the words "I flit, I ??, I fleetly fleetly fly..." All to say, flit is simply bouncing around! Way too much info, I know!

Hugs!
Susan

valerie said...

I wanted to stop by and say hello!
Sounds like a great study.

On Purpose said...

Hello Paula...great post on this chapter!! I am praying and knowing that you will SO enjoy this book..I LOVED it!

Hey I read these lyrics early this morning "Miracle of the Moment" by Steven Curtis Chapman:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/miracle-of-the-moment-lyrics-steven-curtis-chapman.html

Just wanted to share them with you my friend...because I believe in your journey!

Erin said...

Amen to that, this was a wonderful post!

Laura said...

this chapter sounds like a winner! I'm still trying to figure out where I belong too! Flitting to and fro...

I love those "if only" alternatives, Paula. Brilliant.

If only I could do that :)

Just kidding. I know it works, have used it on many occasions!

I'm glad you received the book. It's a pretty easy read. Hope you enjoy.

Sending hugs,

Laura

Melanie said...

Absolutely wonderful post, Paula! I have found every word to be true in my own life. It doesn't matter what I have, what I do, where I go... if I don't allow and ask God to be there with me -- and fully rely on Him along the way -- there is still a gaping hole!

Hugs to you!