Monday, June 2, 2008

Are You Having An Affair?

Oh, no. How can I ask such a personal question? How can I even consider asking that? Many people are having affairs and they've never laid eyes on another person outside of their spouse. Well, then how are they having an affair you ask? They are having an affair by not walking the way God desires. When we do not fully say yes to God, we are cheating on Him. We are cheating Him and our relationship with Him by trying to walk the line, by riding the fence, by being luke warm. So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. Revelation 3:16

We can have many affairs at many times with many things.

We can have an affair with the flesh and the world when we give into to temptations.
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. 1 Cor. 10:13

We have an affair when we are are not fully focused on God.
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus. Hebrews 12:2

We have an affair when we seek our own desires.
For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. James 3:16

We have an affair when we seek the things of this world.
It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age. Titus 2:12

We have an affair when we are too distracted to give God all of the attention He deserves.
We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. Hebrews 2:1

We have an affair when we are not constantly in prayer to Him.
Pray continually. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

We have an affair when we read the books of the world instead of the book of His Word.
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8

We have an affair when we don't say yes to God and what we know to be godly.
If this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment. 2 Peter 2:9

In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. 2 Timothy 3:12

We can have an affair with "good" things in this world. We can desire good things more than God when we spend too much time playing golf, watching tv, reading unwholesome material or just pleasurable that is, playing games, surfing the web, taking care of our earthly possessions, tending to our gardens and flowers. Those things* are fine and good but when they take priority over praying, reading God's Word, ministering with others and just communing with God, THEN, it becomes a sinful affair! (*Let me refine that: not everything on tv and the web is good and not all reading material is good for us. Some of the most popular fiction books are not of God. Even seemingly pure things as love novels can be dangerous. Plus we already have the greatest love novel called The Bible.) Who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near. Rev. 1:2-3

It is so true that whatever goes into our mind, does come out. We think those innocent books or movies won't hurt us because we KNOW they are untrue, we know God and His Word. We mustn't take the power of the mind too lightly. I realized how powerful the mind was when after just weeks of doing my Leslie Sansone walking video, that I began to repeat what she said in the exact same manner. I would repeat funny phrases or mimic her tone even. It kind of blew me away thinking, why is it so hard to memorize God's Word if I can so easily remember and recall exactly what Leslie says. I realized the power of the visual video and the repetition. I have pondered getting the Bible on CD for this reason but have yet to find the entire Bible on one CD or split between OT an NT on two CDs.

May I challenge you to seek with what you might be having an affair. It could be that late night snack (our bodies are temples), that sweet tooth, that unwholesome tv program that's very addictive, unwholesome talk (gossip), unwise use of time, no discipline in praying, reading the Word, or fellowship with our Father. I too am addressing any affairs I may be having. May the Lord search my heart and remove an unclean parts.

I will leave you with a quote from one of my friend, Lelia Chealey.
"We cannot be a woman walking with God while we are having an affair. We can't pray for our friends then get on the phone and mask our gossip as a prayer request."

At the risk of being redundant, I want to repeat a scripture from above because it is so powerful. It very well may help someone who's also going through a rough time.

In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. 2 Timothy 3:12

To live in Christ is to die...that means persecution, suffering, sacrifice. But oh, isn't it worth it to do it for our oh so sweet Jesus?!!!!

In His Grasp,

18 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

Lifeway.com has:
James Earl Jones Reads the Bible-KJV-New Testament for $34.99...it's a 16 cd set.

You are right, Jesus is worth it!

GOD'S LADIE said...

Oh Paula!
What an a word, what a word! All I can say is AAAAA...MEN. This truly brought tears to my eyes and touched my heart. Not only that, it made me stop, search and check myself. I thank GOD for using you to bring forth a reminder to keep HIM first always and to never "cheat" on HIM. What an awesome word! Praise god!

LaTonya/FL

Shirley Mary said...

Really good thoughts, Paula and something we all need to take inventory!

It also brought to mind something that John's Wesley's mother,Susanna, wrote to him in a letter. I looked it up to be sure I had the exact wording.

"Take this rule: whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, or takes off your relish of spiritual things; in short, whatever increases the strength and authority of your body over your mind, that is sin to you, however innocent it may be in itself."

For me, I feel the computer has far too much pull in my life and I need to get a balance. When you used the word "affair" I thought about the times Curtis has answered the phone and I hear him say, "Oh, she's up there with Dell." SO, that really gives me something to think about!!

godlover said...

Paula,
A wonderful, pointedly accurate blog. Keep up the good work. Now, I need to go check on some "affairs" I may be having and see what I can do about them.

Blessings
Marj
Calaveras County CA
http://gdlvr.blogspot.com

christi said...

wow ~ great word paula! really make you think.

Blessings to you ~

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I gasped at this one Paula!! You are right...we live with so many affairs spiritually. Beth Moore is starting an on-line Bible study related to this subject. Check it out!! http://livingproofministries.blogspot.com/

Thank you for the message here!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Yolanda said...

I think this is a very good word, and for me, I can tend to get very "phariseacal", I KNOW that didn't spell that right. Yet, I also know, you totally understand my meaning. I've been asking God to help me, walk this walk, keeping my eyes only on Him and I. Not what others are doing, and then concerning others, to truly be full of GRACE for them.

Would you mind, if I printed this off, for myself? I am asking your permission. Lots of great scripture here!

Love,
Yolanda

Angela Baylis said...

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch!
Thanks for this post... It wasn't easy to hear, but I needed it!

Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement on my blog! I really can't tell you how much that meant to me! You are such a blessing to me and I just want you to know that it doesn't go unnoticed! I hope your day is full of Him and His blessings!
Love,
Angie xoxo

Lelia Chealey said...

VERY good my friend. You had left a comment telling me you were going to post on this subject. Loved what you wrote. Glad what I said touched you so about being a woman of God and a gossip at the same time...funny how that doesn't work! :) I have a poem on just that subject that will be on next week's Yes to God Tuesday post.
Love your heart!!!
lelia

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

What a great post Paula!!!

We cannot be lukewarm....and what a challenge this is to each of us individually, as well as to the body of Christ.

Bless your sweet heart....for sharing such truth.

Kim~

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Paula,
Wow you are growing sooo much. That was a great word and so true. Hey I do Leslie Sansome tapes too. 3am baby :) Thanks for stopping by, it's funny how a visit on your blog can bring a smile. Have a great night and day.
Loves,
Lynn
PS I have a new shor post.

Joyfulsister said...

Amen My Sistah!! Hmm I'm putting down my check list
*sigh*, but it's feels so good to get a spiritual check-up, sometimes like our human physical check up we need to make some changes, some easily said then done, but nevertheless a must. I will be startin a 90 day journey to renewing, spirit, soul, and body. We had a wonderful speaker at our Women's retreat her name is Donna Partow, right now I'm just glancing over her book try a few things here and there almost like getting ready for a marathon lol.. I love your blog and your writings keep it up, I'm glad the Lord led me to you..

Hugz Lorie

connie said...

Paula,
Thank you so much for this post it reminds me of how easy we can drift from our commetment to the Lord, I pray that we all say closer to him....
We also at Lifeway have Word of Promise for a good price and it is the new testiment on cd and it is acted out by actors, I have it and I listen to it every day...
I pray that you are having a great week...
Connie
GBU

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

Israel's problem with idolatry in the Old Testament is no different than our struggles today with the many things that distract us and keep our attention off of our walk with the Lord. GREAT post, Paula. Thanks for the admonishment to examine my heart and deal with the "affairs" of my life.
Blessings to you, dear one.

Sharon said...

Paula,
Wow, your writings get better & better! You so touched my heart.
Yep you even made me look at myself differently. Again the lord has used you to touch and reach out to someone, I am Included!
Thanks!

God Bless You in all you do
Sharon

andi said...

Great post! Really makes me think! I appreciate your truth! HE loves us with an everlasting love! It's all about fixing our gaze on Him! Thanks for that!
andi

Amy said...

This is a great post, Paula. (I'm trying to catch up.)

I really related about the Leslie Sansone videos...I do the same thing...I'll say what she says a few seconds before she says it....I never thought about it before, but you pose a great question...Why can we remember Leslie's words so easily, but stumble trying to recall what God's Word says?....I think you're right when you say repetition, repetition!
With my back trouble I have not been able to walk since I returned from my trip, and I have whined about that.....After reading this post, I wonder if God has been trying to get my attention......I've been fussing about not being able to walk, maybe instead of fussing, I should have been spending time with God. He may have me down so that He has my full attention......

Much to ponder, friend!

You share God's Word well, Paula.
God Bless,
Amy:)

Kim said...

Read your blog--I wish I would have read it before I wrote mine--I could have read the scriptures and quoted you on it!!
You're a sheer blessing!!
Kim