Friday, April 10, 2009

How Good Is God?

Very good. Too good. Unspeakably good. Indescribably good. Out-of-this-world good.

I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." Psalm 16:2

My only thoughts: God is so good and I am so undeserving of just how good He is. For two days I've been wanting to praise Him through my written word. The words didn't come straight to me. How can I formulate how good He has been to me without jotting a list. I don't want to minimize Him to a list. I don't want to praise Him just for what He has provided. For He deserves praise for Who He is and not just what He gives. Will a list do that? Will my praise over His immense involvement in my house dealings do that?

Praise the LORD. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him! Psalm 147:1


Oh how I want to shout His praises. Oh how I want to "do" something for Him in return. Oh how I want Him to know I know. He has used my house dealings in SO many ways to not only show He's providing but to show me He's there. He's telling me that He's working in my life, with my housing, and He's working in the desire of my heart: to have a restored circle of three solely for His glory and to testify to His power to raise the dead, whether a body or a relationship. Even though I see no evidence of the latter, I tarry on and believe He IS working in His other child's heart too.

I cannot express how with every cloud, He has provided sunshine. With every dark spot, He provided light. With every disappointment, He's provided assurance. With every fear, He's provided peace.

How can I repay the LORD for all his goodness to me? Psalm 116:12


He is it. He is all. He is good when I am not.

Many of you know the occurrences in my house dealings: selling one, buying another. He has shown Himself in so many ways and I want to share all those ways but without details I wonder if I could adequately exemplify His extraordinary provision. I don't want to bore readers with details yet I don't know how to shout His praises in awe without the details. I want my awe to be contagious. I want others to be wowed with a $10 gesture and savings here and there.

Most recently, as a result of my current home inspection I agreed to fix the heat pump. I complied and fixed it at a tune of $327, a very unexpected expense, about two weeks ago. This Tuesday, I turned up the heat as normal when I got home. However, with it set on 67ish, the thermostat was not going above 58. My gut knew what this meant but my mind tried to scheme. I seriously, in my head, tried to pretend I didn't know. Imagine this scenario of convincing myself (and God) in my mind that I didn't know anything was wrong. Come on. It's hilarious thinking about it now. I, Paula, was trying to convince God in my thoughts (remember nothing verbal at this time) that I didn't see the thermostat and I didn't feel the chill in the air. But I can't afford another expense. I can't. Shortly into the battle in my mind, I heard this, "Do unto others." Three simple words. Ugg. Conviction. C-o-n-v-i-c-t-i-o-n. That's right. I would not want someone to leave me with a malfunctioning heat pump. So, the bartering began. Lord, I know this is what I need to do. It is what is right. I have to call my repair man, don't I? (It's has God gently said, yes child.) Okay. So, he said he fixed it and he didn't. I will ask him to come back and when he tries to present me with a huge bill, I will tell him I didn't expect a fee as it was to have already been repaired. Lord, I am doing what is right. I am doing unto others how I want to be done. I am being honest. I'm being straight forth and making this call. Lord, I ask for Your favor. Lord, I ask that my honesty would reap Your reward and a very cheap bill. Please have favor on me and make this work out, cheaply.

Good will come to him who is generous and lends freely, who conducts his affairs with justice. Psalm 112:5

I called my repair man. He went to the house that day, Wednesday, at 12:30. I was on pins and needles for an hour until he called back at 1:30. He told me it did it again. The same thing: a hole in the piping. He explained his fix. He said "I don't feel good about this. So, to be fair to both of us, I'll just charge you the cost of the freon. I won't charge you for the trips or the labor." I asked "just so I can prepare, how much is the freon?" He said, "$58.68 and that's dealer cost. So, if it's okay, I'll just send you an invoice." Yes, that's okay. No, that's not an expected expense but yes, that's wonderful. I had never been so happy to hear such a price. In my mind, I was thinking hundreds. I was thinking thousands maybe. It's one thing to spend that kind of money on one's own home but to spend it on a home being sold in which the benefits wouldn't be reaped, that's a whole 'nother thing.

Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you. Psalm 116:7

Oblige me and let me also say in the last few weeks I've had some huge ups and downs. The biggest being the disappointment of not closing on my homes this Good Friday. I've come to accept that and now am excited that we are still only three days from closing. I had unkind and negative thoughts running through my mind regarding many people involved in my dealings. I was emotional to say the least. When it involves my heart, I get emotional and I need time to accept change (usually a few hours and it eases).

Then last night, I was informed of the bill amount for work that needed to be done in the new house. I was quoted $350-400. A few items were removed from his work list and a few added. I was prepared for and expecting $400. My realtor told me the bill came at $518. He proceeded to say: "This is what I'd like to do if it's okay with you. I will pay $300 if you'll pay $218. If that's okay with you. Is that okay?" With mouth dropped to the floor and wondering is that okay with me, I utter "Yes. Thank you very much. I appreciate that so much." Other kind words were exchanged. I then proceeded to tell him that the shower repairs reported on the new home's inspection were going to be $200 more than I anticipated so this will really help.

He has done numerous other things, in the amount of $10, in the amount of $900, in the amount $300. After my conversation with him last night, still stunned, I just said "It's God." It's God who orchestrated this. It's God who's done this. It's God whose favor is upon me. He not only showered upon me His favor with the heat pump repair but His favor continued a day later with $310 cut in costs.

The LORD is good to all; he has compassion on all He has made. Psalm 145:9

The entire night I kept repeating "I'm not worthy. I'm so not worthy. Lord you know the thoughts and feelings I've had toward some business people. I'm not worthy. But You, Lord, have done this anyway. Why, Lord? Why me? I'm not worthy of You. But oh how my heart rejoices and praises You. Thank You, Lord. Thank You."

I see every good and gracious gift from God Above.

Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalm 106:1


Thank you for being patient with me and allowing my heart to ramble in praise to our Lord. I pray that something can be received by every eye that reads this.

So, does anyone want to know who the w-i-n-n-e-r-s of my gifts are? Everyone. We are all winners if we have Christ in our lives and hearts. On with the sentimental stuff; we want to know who's getting the goods. Drum roll please....

Tina, The Shack
Sharon, God Loves You
Pam, Beth Journal
Carol, Leather Journal

This was very hard because as a name was drawn, I tried to pick the most desired gift for each recipient. I warned you I'm weird like that. I hope you each enjoy the gift and surprises included. Please email me your address.

I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Psalm 27:13

Praising His Goodness,

© Copyright 2009
May your Good Friday and Easter be a reflection and celebration of what Christ Jesus did for us. Thank You, Jesus, for suffering and dying a painful death for ME. ♥

14 comments:

Melanie said...

I love this post, Paula! How good it is to want and to desire to praise the Lord from the mountaintops. I'm just amazed as I read thru all that has happened over these last few weeks.... amazed at how awesome our God is!

Many blessings to you and your family on this East weekend!

Tonja said...

God is good...all the time. We have blinders on to this sometimes, but the fact remains. He wants to bless us...and He wants our praise. He delights in blessing us with good things.

He has indeed been close to you in this process, and you have been so verbal with your praise in giving Him the glory! He has seen you through...just as He said He would!

Tina said...

Paula,

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm not ever bored with details for in the details we see how God cares about every little thing! He always provides. It is good to hear testimony of his provision. We are facing some serious legal fees but He has provided so far and I am sure will continue to do so. God is good all of the time!

In His precious love,
Tina

Beth in NC said...

Oh Paula I am so happy for you! God is faithful!

Happy Easter my friend!
Beth

Laura said...

He is so good. No doubt about it, He's looking out for His Paula-girl.

Rest in that!

Just wanted to pop over and wish you a very blessed, joy-filled EAster, my friend!!

Laura said...

He is so good. No doubt about it, He's looking out for His Paula-girl.

Rest in that!

Just wanted to pop over and wish you a very blessed, joy-filled EAster, my friend!!

God's Girl said...

I absolutely love how the Lord shows us His goodness in big and small ways! He is so, so good! I continually pray for the Lord to reveal His amazing lovingkindness to me so that I could grasp even a part of it!

Thanks for sharing!

love,
Julie

Nicole said...

So glad to hear of the ways that God has blessed you lately! He sure is so good and cares about the details of your lives. I pray that you are having a good weekend and happy easter, my friend!

Love,
Nicole

Carol said...

God is so Good!!! Paula when I got your email I hadn't been on any blogs to read since I think Tuesday early morning. Still haven't.

I've been praying for your house situation and for God to ease your heart and burdens. I love how God shows up and fixes all the details. He wants us to trust Him with everything.

I'm so excited for you, and to see what God does next.

Oh and I can't tell you how extatic I was to be one of your winners, and the Journal too. Oh and I did read the whole post to before I went to the bottom.

I love you much, pea pod.

Carol

valerie said...

Paula,
I am so thankful for the favor God has shown you.
He is so good and so faithful. I loved reading all of the Scripture between each of your thoughts.
Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to see pictures of your new home when you get all settled in....you are going to share pictures with us aren't you? :)
Congratulations to the winners!
Happy Easter.
Love you,
Valerie

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Oh my..did HE show Himself or what?!?!? You must feel so loved and cared for friend. What a beautiful testimony of His attention to our every need. Thanks for sharing!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Sharon said...

Wow, that is so exciting, he is always by your/our side! Awesome,Awesome God he Is!!!! I have so loved hearing how he is working in your life, and all the trials you have worked out.
You are truly a Special Child of God!
I am sure your Easter Sunday was a Praised and Joy filled Day!

Thank You, first time I have ever won anything, how exciting! I am humbled! :)
God Bless you in all you do! :)

IJ said...

Thank you for reminding me of Psalm 16v2. Have a blessed Easter season.

-LJ

The Dementia Nurse said...

Thank you so much, Paula for sharing this beautiful story. May God continue to bless you and keep you and make His face to shine upon you!