Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lessons & Pineapples

After reading the first two pages of chapter six, the title is very fitting and makes perfect sense...Unlikely Lessons From a Pineapple. Probably like many people, Lysa feared the unknown of cutting a fresh pineapple to the extent that she would just not buy one. Until...until she watched a friend cut one. Then her world opened up, never to be the same again.

As a child I remember pineapples being a delicacy in our home because they were so expensive. I loved fresh pineapple but we didn't have the extra money for that. Then one day my mom bought me (us) one. I took a picture of it sitting in a chair, which I still have. I was one happy teenager.

Lysa didn't know how to cut a pineapple so she just never bought one. She uses this as a great analogy for how she first looked at studying the Bible...from afar. Choosing canned pineapple over fresh. Choosing to read books about the Bible over studying the Bible.

I would guess many of us find reading someone's experiences and thoughts on the Word to be easier than studying and learning straight from the Bible. It can be an intimidating Book but a Book which without we can't live. We should breath it.

Learning facts versus learning life applications. "Becoming more than a good Bible study girl means pursuing God's truth so passionately that it actually becomes part of our nature."

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. James 1:22 Make a habit of applying God's Word.

"Knowing God's Word and doing what it says not only saves us from heartbreak and trouble, it also brings more satisfaction to our souls more than anything else ever could."

Security and satisfaction.

It's not just reading but applying God's Word. Actually, dare I say that reading becomes null and void if it's not applied? We can buy a fresh pineapple but if we don't crack it open, it becomes rotten and inedible. If we don't fully eat the Word, we are not filled with it.

"If people ever say Jesus and His biblical truths don't work, I am quick to ask how consistently they've applied what they've read. People fail; truth never does."

Lysa shares and reflects on the story of David and Goliath. I just finished A Heart Like His by Beth Moore so the life of David is still very fresh in my heart.

But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

Convicting for sure.

"Allowing the traits of biblical characters to cause us to do some introspective thinking will deepen our study and make what we're learning more applicable to our lives." And applying Scripture to our lives is what it is all about. Applying not just reading. It's hard, I know.

And we know our heart, and thus our character, is top priority to God. I've often asked God, if there is more He needs to do in my heart and character while I wait on Him and my desire of restoration, then please do so. I know that He has work to do on both parties before He can restore.

Lysa shares how any time something seems out of order in Scripture that we should stop and look deeper, asking why? Why was David overlooked? Why was he not even considered by his father when Samuel came searching for a king?

David didn't look like a king. He didn't smell like a king. He wasn't positioned for a king. But David had the heart God was seeking. A heart like His. Is there anything greater to be called?

"Overlooked by everyone, but handpicked by God." Wow! One pivotal fact about David but one we can also apply to our lives and thus change the outlook on our own lives. Others may reject me. Others may step over me for the task. Others may overlook me when choosing love. Others may put me last on their list of friends. But, God will always choose me. God has chosen me. God has handpicked me with His Almighty Hands.

That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthian 12:10


Often when we are rejected and overlooked it is because God has chosen and handpicked us. When I am weak (or rather feel weak), He makes me strong. He makes me capable!

After being chosen as king, David was sent right back from where he came--tending his sheep. Why? To wait. A tough place for sure. "Waiting can sometimes consume a person with questions, wants, and worries." Amen, sister. I thought I was alone in asking, wanting, and worrying while I wait. I can't help but to think at least David knew he would be king one day while he waited. That had to make the wait better, didn't it? Unfortunately, I've not heard such a clear and strong call on my heart. I can only go with what I feel my convictions to be...but no clear promise as with David's anointing. What I wouldn't give to hear His call and assurance while I'm waiting. Even more than that, David wasn't ever bothered by the wait. I guess I can somewhat understand that. If I knew something was going to happen, as David did with his kingship, I think I could wait more patiently.

David didn't wonder, resist, or doubt. David rested knowing this was "the right place for right now." I believe that for myself...that is God must have a purpose and therefore this has to be the right place for right now, but only for now. I believe in His purpose of my waiting and my unfulfilled desires deep within my heart. But it doesn't seem to sooth the ache any more.

He makes me lie down in green pastures [rest]
He leads me beside quiet waters [reflection]
He restores my soul [restoration]
He guides me in paths of righteousness [right choices]
for His name's sake [it is all about God, not about David]
Psalm 23:2-3

"David chose to resist the temptation of discontentment by seeing the greater good of this waiting period."

When David finally faces Goliath, it is the training in his every day life that prepares him to fight and defeat Goliath. "God can use the tasks of my everyday life to deliver my character to the point that it matches my calling."

"Never again settle for the canned version of anything."
Ain't that the truth, especially for this fresh-fruit-lovin gal.

Trying to Learn His Lessons,

© Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I stopped by and I learned. I needed to read this!

LisaShaw said...

Thanks for sharing with us.

Love this: "Learning facts versus learning life applications. "Becoming more than a good Bible study girl means pursuing God's truth so passionately that it actually becomes part of our nature.""

Blessings!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Good stuff, Paula. The pineapple thing reminds me of me; sometimes I will not attempt things out of fear or "never done that before."

Tracy said...

Wow! Yet another keeper! This definitely resonated with me. So often I've allowed fear and/or uncertainty keep me from trying "fresh pineapple." It's crazy when we settle for anything less than God's absolute best. Love this illustration, my friend. Thanks for sharing!

Twinkle Mom @ Sunflower Faith said...

God bless you for helping with picking this up; This is a very in depth study in the sense that it really deeply connects to what we feel inside and sometimes find it hard to find the words to say.

We completely cook from scratch so when the few times we go out and get fast food or by it "in the bag", we always get this look on our faces that go,"Why?"

There is a distant taste between processed and straight from the source and hand prepared and it makes trusting our Father so much special.

It is a living, maturing, growing relationship that is challenging as well as encouraging.